Roast Maple Sausage & Apple with Bonfire® Smoked Mash
TIME: 1 Hour
1 Kg Floury Potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks
50g Kale, washed and finely sliced
300ml Semi Skimmed Milk
Knob of Butter(optional)
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
125g Windyridge Bonfire® Smokey Cheddar, coarsely grated
8 Pork and Leek Sausages
2 Red Onions, peeled and cut into wedges
2 Red Apples, such as Cox or Braeburn, cored and cut into wedges.
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup
Few Sprigs of Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
- Place the potatoes into a large pan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 Minutes until the potatoes are really soft and starting to fall apart. Add the kale and drain immediately. Return to the pan and add the milk and butter, if using. Mash everything together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and then stir in most of the cheese, saving a little to sprinkle over the top.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Place the sausages in a roasting dish. Arrange the onions and apples into the dish. Sprinkle over the oil, maple syrup and herbs. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon the mash into an oven proof dish and sprinkle over the reserved cheese.
- Place the sausages into the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes until they are cooked through and browned. Add the mash,10 minutes into the cooking time and bake until the cheese is golden and melted.
- Serve the sausages with the smokey mash and some steamed greens.